Playing custom games against the bots and friends is fun and all, but at some point you’re going to want to play Arena mode for leader board glory and prizes! So without further ado, here’s your guide to playing the current version of Arena. Special thanks to Menace for helping me understand all this!
How Arena works, the TL;DR version
- Use tickets for a run.
- Win medals and stars until you get 7 Strikes.
- Convert medals into Power Core (Green)/Omnipower Core (Red) Fragments and Cores.
- Each Core gets you card flips (5 for Green, 7 for Red) in the Armory Minigame.
- Use Prismatic Shards to get extra flips.
- Use the points you get in the Minigame to purchase Skins and Emotes from the random selection available.
- Equip your Skins and Emotes from Customize!
- Your wins and losses in Arena matches affect your leader board rank, similar to an ELO system.
- Click Battle from the top menu.
- Click Arena from the left menu.
- Click the Arena Settings setup your run.
Arena Settings Explained
- First decide which timer settings you’re OK with. These will affect how many Medals you will receive for a win (see below).
- Then decide if you want the chance of 1-3 extra units showing up in exchange for skill bonus Stars (see below). You should do this!
- Finally decide which 5 units you wish to embargo if any (see below).
Winning an Arena match awards 1-3 Medals depending on the timer setting as shown above.
Losing an Arena match awards 1-3 Strikes depending on the same timer settings. There is no limit on the number of Medals you may receive in an Arena run, but as soon as you receive 7 Strikes, your run is over.
Bonus Stars are awarded only when you win with extra random units are added to the Base+8 game. This can make the game a Base+9, 10, or 11 game at random. This is referred to as a Skill Bonus.
The Embargo system lets you select up to 5 units that you want to not show up in your matches. If both players that are matched up have the same unit selected, it won’t show up. If only one player has a unit selected, the chance of that unit showing up will be reduced.
Starting your Arena Run
Now that you have your Arena Settings configured, you can start playing. Click on the large PLAY ticket button to choose which mode to play in.
The modes which require actual tickets are currently unavailable, but as you can see, they offer higher rarity rewards! For now just click the big green PLAY button on Normal Prize Rarity to start matchmaking.
- The PLAY ticket button will change into the “Automatching… (Click to cancel)” button (which you can click to cancel!).
- A Matchmaking indicator will appear at the top. You can no go play a Custom game against the bot, or Watch someone else play while you wait!
Indicators on the Arena screen during a run
- The ticket button has 7 circles on it. These will be X’d out as you accumulate Strikes in your run until you hit 7!
- The number of Medals you’ve won so far.
- The number of Skill Bonus stars you’ve won so far.
- Your current Tier and % completion towards the next Tier up.
- A button to cancel your current Arena run (lose all progress this run, yikes!)
Completing an Arena run
When the Arena run ends you’ll see a final assessment of your score along with the calculated Prize Rarity
When clicking “Continue to rewards” you’ll see a screen where you can click on your prize medals to open them
As you click the prize medals you’ll receive Green/Red Cores and Fragments
Once you open them all, you’ll see a rewards summary
Using your rewards
- Click Customize on the top menu
- Click Armory on the left menu
- Drag a Power Core you have at least 1.o of (Red is more valuable than Green).
- Drop the Core into the slot to start the Rewards Minigame.
- Indicates how many Cards left for you to flip.
- Click on these Cards to flip for Points.
- Points you’ve won so far from the cards.
- Flip over 4 cards with the same number (5,3, or 2) or the same color (Green, Blue, or Red) for huge point bonuses!
- Available Skin and Emote prizes to buy with your Points. Leftover points are lost, so spend them all!
When you’re done, you have some options:
- You can buy Prismatic Shards for real money (Coming soon!)
- You can spend Prismatic Shards to flip additional cards for more points. This is priced based on how many cards you’ve already flipped.
- Spend your points on prizes!
Here are the Shard prices for additional flips
- 6th Flip – 49 Shards
- 7th Flip – 119 Shards
- 8th Flip – 249 Shards
- 9th Flip – 579 Shards
- 10th Flip – 899 Shards
- 11th Flip – 1299 Shards
- 12th Flip – Free!
Make sure to equip your new Skins and Emotes in the Customize screen and have a great time playing Arena!
Here are the rarities of items in order (according to Elyot they go up by about 2-2.5 each level):